Monday, February 27, 2012

Poisonous Plants And Dogs

It is always a shock when pet owners come home to find their dog sick and their favorite houseplants chewed to pieces. There are many safe plants that can be kept with dogs but there are some vary common houseplants and even outdoor plants that are extremely poisonous and potentially be lethal to dogs.

Understanding which houseplants should not be kept in the house or within reach of your dog is important. The following is a list of the most common houseplants that are toxic. Remember to check any plant with the nursery or with your vet to make sure that they are not poisonous:

Catnip Plants

· Most Philodendrons

· Chinese Evergreens

· Cordatum

· Corn Plant

· Devil's Ivy

· Golden Pothos

· Marble Queen

· Peace Lily

· Nephthytis

· Most Dracaena

· Taro vine

There are also many bulbs that are stored over the winter in houses that are poisonous if consumed by a dog or even used as a fun toy. These include most the garden bulbs such as lily varieties, tulips, elephant ears, gladiolas, hyacinth, iris, crocus and amaryllis bulbs. Lily of the Valley is very toxic both as a bulb and as a plant.

Common garden plants that are found both inside and outside that are potentially deadly to dogs include Dieffenbachia, Foxglove, Morning glory, Nightshade, Onions, Tomato plants and most of the varieties of ivy.

Shrubs in the garden or the yard can also be problematic. Trees and shrubs such as:

· Avocado

· Yew

· Macadamia Nut

· Schefflera

· Bamboo

· Oleander

· Mistletoe

· Yucca

· Sago Palm

Many pet owners don't realize that Aloe Vera can potentially be poisonous to dogs if consumed in large quantities. There are many other species of plants that can cause allergic reactions, rashes and skin and mouth lesions in dogs if the animal is exposed to the plants at certain times in the plants growth. Often the either the leaves, flower or bark is poisonous but perhaps not all three. For example, grape vines themselves are not poisonous to dogs but the grapes can be extremely toxic.

Safety Tips

Take some time to research the various houseplants and garden plants that your dogs may potentially be exposed to. It is not always necessary to completely remove the plants; rather they may just need to be placed above the dog's reach. Puppies are more prone to chewing and mouthing items than are most mature dogs, so by monitoring how your dog behaves around your house and garden plants you can predict if you will have to remove the plants or if the dog will not bother them. Remember, however, that even dogs that don't chew or play with plants may decide to do so at some time, so it is usually best to try to keep these plants out of the areas of the yard or house that the dog has access too when unsupervised.

If you believe that your dog has ingested a poisonous plant, or any type of plant, and is exhibiting signs of pain, nervous problems, salivating, drooling, vomiting or diarrhea immediately contact your vet and have the dog examined. Be sure to bring the plant in with you to help the vet identify the poison that was consumed.

Poisonous Plants And Dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment